Enjoying the sunshine is one of the best parts of summer! Being outdoors is so great for our mental health and well-being too. It’s important to wear your Dormer211 SPF30 Daily Moisturizer when you are spending the day outside and there is another way we can help protect ourselves, and that is from the inside!
Certain foods, when eaten regularly, have specific benefits for protecting your skin.
Here are 7 foods that are great for your skin:
- Tomatoes - Easy to grow in your own garden and abundant all summer, and for good reason! They are high in lycopene which is a carotenoid and antioxidant that fights free radicals, reduces inflammation from sun exposure and helps protect against sunburns.
- Watermelon - Higher in lycopene than tomatoes! It absorbs UVA and UVB radiation when eaten consistently, which isn’t hard to do during the summer months. Watermelon also contains high amounts of Vitamin A & C which also helps protect cells from UV damage.
- Blueberries - Blueberries are packed with antioxidants which help fight free radicals and protect from UV exposure. They are high in Vitamin C which helps boost collagen production.
- Carrots - One of the best sources of beta-carotene, which converts into Vitamin A, is great for protecting your skin and eyes! Beta-carotene in carrots can help protect us against sunburns, but this needs to be eaten consistently for maximum benefit.
- Leafy Greens - We should eat dark leafy greens daily for many reasons! They are packed with antioxidants but in particular for sun protection, zeaxanthin and lutein. These two protect the skin from premature wrinkling and sun damage.
- Hemp Seeds - High in omega 3 which is anti-inflammatory. They will ease the healing of the skin when exposed to the sun and keep our skin strong and supple.
- Green Tea - Contains the flavanol EGCG which is a polyphenol that a study* has shown, may prevent tumor growth from UV exposure! In another study** it was shown to reduce the damage from UVA exposure and protect the degradation of collagen. It also destroys free radicals.
These foods are really easy to add to your weekly, even daily diet. The more you can incorporate these, the more you will help your skin from the inside out, but don’t forget to apply your Dormer 211 SPF 30 sun protection too!