Our skin is the first line of defence we have when it comes to protecting ourselves from the elements. From outer elements like cold and sun exposure, to internal, like what we eat and drink. It all affects our skin and how hydrated it is. During the winter we tend to need some extra help with keeping our skin hydrated.
Here are the top 5 foods to nourish and hydrate from the inside out:
- Avocados - This delicious fruit packs a nutritional punch. Making sure you have a healthy amount of fats in your diet, like those in the avocado, will keep your skin more supple. Also high in vitamin E, which helps protect against oxidative damage, keeps your cells strong and protects against aging. Another Vitamin found in the avocado is Vitamin C which helps build collagen and protect from UV damage. This fruit is one of the healthiest sources of fat you can possibly consume.
- Chia Seeds - One of nature’s tiniest superfoods! This seed is a complete plant based protein, meaning it contains all essential amino acids, which is required for healthy skin, hair and nails. Chia seeds are also full of omega 3’s which help strengthen cells and protect against inflammation. On top of those benefits they are also high in zinc to help keep blemish free skin, and high in fibre for optimal digestion.
- Bell Peppers - These contain one of the highest sources of Vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant regenerator. It builds the collagen and elastin in the skin keeping the structural part toned. Vitamin C also helps regenerate Vitamin E in the body, which is needed for healthy skin too. Bell Peppers also contain beta carotene which helps protect against cell damage, UV damage and premature again.
- Sweet Potatoes - This delicious root vegetable is full of fibre, which leads to healthy digestion, and healthy digestion lets us absorb all the nutrients we consume, for healthier skin. Sweet Potatoes are also full of Vitamin C and beta carotene. Beta carotene converts to Vitamin A, which helps repair and smooth the skin. Also high in vitamin B6 which is essential for healthy hair, and good sleep.
- Walnuts - Don’t be scared to eat a serving of healthy walnuts a day! This nut is full of healthy fats, protein and minerals. Loaded with plant based Omega 3’s to strengthen your skin. High in zinc for clear skin and a healthy scalp. They produce nitric oxide which boosts circulation getting all the healthy nutrients to the skin and where else they are needed. They are also full of antioxidants, and very anti-inflammatory.